Tax Payment Options
If you want to avoid that large one-time tax payment or just average your expenses, the City of Chestermere offers the Tax Installment Payment Plan.
What is the Tax Installment Payment Plan (TIPP)?
This optional plan allows property owners to pay taxes by automatic monthly debit from their bank account. As a TIPP participant, you are not required to make an annual lump sum tax payment. Your taxes can be paid in monthly installments on the 15th of each month and adjusted automatically on an annual basis to reflect any tax changes for the current year.
The monthly payment is calculated by dividing your annual property tax by 12. You will still receive a tax notice in June that shows your current taxes but it will also show a credit amount that is equal to the payments made to date.TIPPs Participants:
Annual Tax Levy = January to June payments + July to December payments.
How do I participate in the Tax Installment Payment Plan?
To participate in the TIPP program:
- Complete the TIPP Agreement Form
- Return the form, your void cheque, and payment (to get your tax account up to date) to City Hall. For example, if you sign up in July, payments for January – June will be required before you can enroll. There is no application cost to sign up.
- The first payment will be withdrawn from your account on the 15th of the following month.
- Payments will continue to be withdrawn unless you submit a TIPP Termination Form
- Payments will be automatically adjusted each year (in July) to account for any changes in the tax rate.
Monthly TIPP payments are adjusted 2 times a year: every January and July.
These amounts are located on the left hand side of the yearly Tax Notice under
‘Tax Installment Payment Program’.
January to June TIPP payments are a pre-payment for the current year taxes, based on the prior year’s tax amount and calculated by taking the
Total previous year’s tax amount divided by 12 = January to June Monthly Withdrawal
July to December TIPP payments pay off the remaining current year taxes and are calculated by taking the
Current year taxes less January to June’s pre-payments then divided by 6 = July to December Monthly Withdrawal
For more information please call the Tax Department at (403) 207-7057 or email us.
- TIPP Agreement Form
- TIPP Change of Banking Information Form
- TIPP Termination Form
- January Adjustment Letter
- Example of January Adjustment Explanation (Back of January Adjustment Letter)
Note: The provincial government has a property tax assistance program for seniors. Visit their website to learn more.
One Time Tax Payment Methods:
- In Person at City Hall (105 Marina Road, Chestermere, AB, T1X 1V7):
- You can pay by cash, debit or cheque in person at the Municipal Office l during regular office hours (Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30pm). cheques payable to: CITY OF CHESTERMERE. Credit cards will not be accepted.
- You can also drop off your payment in the secured drop box after hours (located on the south side of the building).
- Via Electronic banking (phone or online):
- Please ensure the PAYEE is ‘CHESTERMERE TAXES’. If your payee is ‘Chestermere Utilities’, we will not receive the payment (may need to set up a new account)
- By mail
- Payments through the mail will be applied to the tax accounts on the date of the postmark stamped on the envelope by Canada Post.
- Please note that the City of Chestermere is not responsible for lost or misdirected mail
Other Payment Information:
- Cheques must be made payable to the CITY OF CHESTERMERE.
- Post-dated cheques will be accepted. However, payments made after the due date will have penalties applied.
- Cheques are a conditional payment until the bank upon which it is drawn honours the cheque. If a cheque is not honoured, penalties and a service charge of $30.00 will be applied.
- Payments will be accepted at any time (subject to penalties).