Past & Not Yet Scheduled Programs
The PCSS team offers a variety of programs to meet many different needs.
Below are some we have offered in the past or may be offering down the road but have not yet been scheduled. Call us at (403) 207-7050 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know if you'd like to see a specific program offering soon.
- Programs about Healthy Attachment
- Programs for New Parents
- Programs to support a child's social-emotional health
- Triple P Parenting
- Grow & Learn
- Postpartum Support Group
- Family Activity Kits
Programs about Child Development & Attachment Parenting
Travelling Tales & Tunes
This popular early-literacy program is for both parents and their little ones (newborns, toddlers, and children under the age of 6). Participate in fun activities that promote literacy, language development, communication, and building a strong attachment with your child through songs, rhymes, stories, and connections with other families. This program is a 6-week commitment.
This program is delivered in partnership with Rocky View Adult Learning
Circle of Security
The Circle of Security® program is designed to offer the core elements of secure attachment to parents and caregivers.
Our work is based upon the following:
1. The quality of parent/child relationship shapes child behavior
2. Parents have innate wisdom and a desire for their children to be secure
3. Parents struggle without a coherent road-map of their children’s needs
4. Supporting parent reflection on their strengths and struggles, allows them to make new choices in the direction of security
At the heart of this program is the notion that supporting security in the current generation will positively influence the shape of future generations.
The Circle of Security program is facilitated with a group of parents once a week for 90-minutes over an 8-week period.
Programs for New Parents
Offered in partnership with Alberta Health Services (AHS), this program is designed for moms, dads, grandparents, and caregivers with a baby under the age of 12 months. Each week we present on a different parenting topic; sharing helpful information, resources, and answering questions. Facilitated by a Public Health Nurse, and a Caregiver Support Facilitator, Baby Talk is a great opportunity to connect with other parents and caregivers in your community, and to learn about how to support your baby's development, and being a parent. Choose to attend one, two, or all twelve sessions! Register today by calling (403) 365-5403.
Please note that this program is being offered VIRTUALLY at the moment.
Kids Have Stress Too & Stress Lessons
Even the most nurturing home and school environment includes a range of stressors that can both challenge and motivate children. The Kids Have Stress Too and Stress Lessons programs were designed by the Psychology Foundation of Canada to help the important people in children’s’ lives (the parents and caregivers) learn to promote resiliency by buffering the impact of stress, and building positive coping strategies to deal with life’s stressors.
We offer several parenting workshops throughout the year that focus on providing you with information and strategies to help support your child’s social-emotional health, and their ability to cope with stress.
Selection of Programs:
- Kids Have Stress Too! Kindergarten and Preschool Program (3-6 years)
- Kids Have Stress Too! Parent Program (Grades 1-3)
- Stress Lessons Parent Program (Grades 4-6)
- Stress Lessons Parent Program (Grades 7-9)
Check out a former session below:
Social Thinking Programs
Social thinking is the process of interpreting the thoughts, beliefs, intentions, emotions, knowledge and actions of others. By helping children build social competencies early on in life will allow them to cultivate healthy relationships, and to be successful in school and in life. We offer two Social Thinking programs, We Thinkers (ages 3-5) and Superhero Social Thinking (ages 6-10). We invite parents and caregivers to attend with their children so that families can learn these skills together in a fun and interactive environment.
We Thinkers (Ages 3-5)
During this 6-week program, parents/caregivers and their children (ages 3-5) will learn about social skills through interactive stories and engaging activities. Topics covered include thinking thoughts & feeling feelings, the group plan, thinking with your eyes, body in the group, and whole-body listening. This program will help your child develop the skills needed for social success in Kindergarten and beyond!
Superhero Social Training (Ages 6-10)
During this 6-week program, parents/caregivers and their children (ages 6-10) will learn about social skills through interactive stories, engaging activities, crafts, and more. Together, parents and children learn how to be 'social detectives', use their Superflex Powers, and defeat the Unthinkables. This program is filled with imagination and fun for everyone!
Emotion Commotion (Ages 3-5)
Children 3-5 years old and their caregivers learn how to independently problem solve, improve friendship skills, enhance positive behaviours, and control their emotions over 6-weeks. This program was designed using the evidence-based PATHS® Curriculum, which offers developmentally-appropriate activities to facilitate the learning of emotional literacy, self-control, problem-solving skills, healthy social skills, and the cognitive skills needed for school readiness. Simultaneously, caregivers have the opportunity to develop parenting tools and knowledge relating to their child's social-emotional development, and how they can continue supporting this at home.
Positive Parenting Program (Triple P)
Chances are you’re looking for practical help with some common parenting problems such as:
- infant’s sleep-patterns or persistent crying
- toddler tantrums
- mealtime mayhem
- fighting and aggression
- a young teenager’s defiance
Or there might be no problem at all. You might be thinking about how to best support your child as he or she starts school, to set a homework pattern, to encourage healthy eating, or set a bedtime routine. And if you’re “expecting”, it’s never too early to learn what to expect!
Whatever your parenting need, no matter how simple or complex, Triple P has the information, tip sheet, book, DVD, seminar, course, or practitioner to help you. As one of the few evidence-based parenting programs available worldwide, with over 25 years of proven clinical research to back it up, you can be sure Triple P works for the majority of families. Triple P has helped thousands of families and has the seal of approval of parents, practitioners, and experts worldwide.
PCSS Selection of Programs
- Triple P Selected Seminar Workshop Series – An introduction to the strategies of positive parenting and Triple P. Parents attend any number of three 90-minute seminars (Power of Positive Parenting; Raising Confident, Competent Children; and Raising Resilient Children) or any of the three seminars in the Teen Triple P Seminar Series (Raising Responsible Teenagers; Raising Competent Teenagers and Getting Teenagers Connected). Take-home tip sheets are given to all parents who attend Triple P seminars.
- Triple P Discussion Groups – Two-hour small group sessions, targeting a specific problem behavior or issue. Each discussion group can be taken as a stand-alone session or as part of a series. There are four topics for parents of children 0 –12 (Dealing with disobedience; Managing fighting and aggression; Developing good bedtime routines, and Hassle-free shopping with children) and four in Teen Triple P Discussion Groups for parents of 12 –16-year-olds (Coping with teenagers’ emotions; Reducing family conflict; Getting teenagers to cooperate, and Building teenagers’ survival skills).
- Brief Primary Care and Brief Primary Care Teen – Delivered opportunistically by a practitioner who provides regular support to parents of children or teenagers. A brief one-on-one consultation of 15–30 minutes targets a specific issue. If required, there can be a follow-up visit or phone call.
Check out a past session below:
Have A Successful Summer
Are you worried that your child's behaviour may be a source of stress this summer? Then this parenting workshop from the Positive Parenting Program (Triple P) is for you!
Information: Designed for parents/caregivers with children ages 4-10. Learn how you can positively manage misbehaviour and encourage good behaviour during our interactive online workshop, which includes a workbook and resources to help implement new strategies.
Date & Time: Tuesday, June 29, 2021, from 9:30-11:00am via WebEx
Grow & Learn
Our virtual Grow & Learn sessions are a great opportunity for parents/caregivers to learn from and connect with local service providers and professionals. Each 60-90 minutes session will feature a guest speaker who will present on a specific topic in their areas of expertise, such as healthy eating, sleep routines, resiliency, or mindfulness. Parents will have the opportunity to ask questions and will walk away with valuable knowledge, resources, and information about local programs and services.
Topics may include:
- Nutrition & Healthy Eating
- Health Social & Emotional Skills
- Managing Stress as a Parent
- Schedules and Routines
- Language & Literacy
Check out our past session about home schooling preparation
Do you have an idea for a topic?
If there is a topic you would like us to offer for Grow & Learn you can connect with us by calling 403-207-7050 or emailing email@example.com.. We'd love to hear from you!
Bundle of Support
Adjusting to life while pregnant or after a baby can be a scary and emotional time for many new moms, which is why we have created the Bundle of Support program. Moms will receive support, resources, and encouragement to help navigate the transition to parenthood in a safe and welcoming environment.
Father's Day Activity Kits
Looking for something to do to engage with your kids this father's day? Our newest activity kit features fun and interactive ways for parents to engage with their kids!
Our kits include the following:
- A variety of fun games and activities for you to do with your children was created by Camp Chestermere, the City's Recreation team, and Parent & Caregiver Support Services.
- Meaningful ideas for fathers and male role models to build connections with their kids.
Complete a short survey after you have tried out your kit and you could win 1 of 2 Father's Day themed prizes!
Please note that we have limited kits available