Start a Home Business

There are many successful home based businesses in Chestermere! If you're thinking of starting an operation from your home, here's what you need to know: 

Major vs. Minor

When you apply for your home business permit, you will need to indicate if you are operating a major or minor home business: 

  • A Major Home-Based business typically has clients or customers parking at the home and/or entering the home. Examples include a piano teacher, car repair business, a seamstress, dog grooming, day home, etc.
  • A Minor Home-Based Business is typically a home-office that will not serve clients or customers on the premises. Examples include a graphic designer, consultant, engineering services, etc.

To open a home based businesses:

  1. Call the Community Growth & Infrastructure Team at (403) 207-7075, or email  and provide details about your business and the location of your home to determine: 
    • If your business is a permitted, discretionary or non-permitted use at those locations,
    •  the permits you will be required to obtain;
  2.  Fill out the permit applications;
  3.  Obtain a business license once the permits are approved;
  4.  Open your home-based business.

If you have questions or require assistance with the development and permit process, please call Chestermere’s Development Services at (403) 207-7075 or email