Rain Barrel Contest
The City’s Streetscape Committee has developed an exciting rain barrel contest for residents to show their creative decorating skills along with their innovative rain water harvesting techniques!
How to participate
Participants can register for the contest here:
*If the above form link does not work for you, please download the Fillable PDF version of the registration form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
After you have registered, you can arrange to pick up a rain barrel or use your own:
Pick up a free rain barrel from Eco Growth Environmental
- If you arrange a tour of their facility, you can take a barrel home for free (metal barrels are similar to what is shown in the picture to the right)
- Email Jason McKee to get more details about this option.
Use your own rain barrel
- If you already have a rain barrel at home, feel free to use this to enter the contest!
Purchase a rain barrel for $65 from the City’s Eco Centre
- After you have filled out the application form, call (403) 207-2807 to arrange payment and pick up of your rain barrel.
- $65 a barrel (includes tax)
- The barrel comes with a tap for the bottom and an adaptor for the top over flow.
- Pick up times are Tuesday and Thursday at the Eco Centre between 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Credit card or debit card are preferred and payment can be accepted at the Eco Centre at the time of pick up.
Submit your photos
Participants are encouraged to submit detailed photos and a description of their creations.
Photos can be submitted to email@example.com.
- When you submit your photo, please include the name and email that you used on your application form
- Indicate if you are submitting the photo for the 'Best decorated' or the 'Most innovative water capture or water harvesting system' category.
- At the end of June, all registrants will be sent a reminder to submit their photos.
All images will be uploaded to a photo album on the City’s Facebook page for display and committee members will use these photos and descriptions to evaluate each submission and award prizes.
Prizes will be awarded for the most creatively decorated rain barrel, and for the most innovative water capture or water harvesting system.
- Five (5) $100 gift certificates to a local Chestermere business will be awarded to the top five most innovative water capture systems.
- Ten (10) $50 gift certificates to a local Chestermere business will be awarded to the top 10 most creatively decorated rain barrels.
- All participants who submit a photo and description will also receive a $10 gift certificate to Garden Scents Garden Centre or Cobblestone Garden Centre as a thank you for participating.
Registration will close on July 31 OR after the committee receives 100 applicants. The contest will run through to the end of July to allow participants ample time to register and take photos of their barrels. Winners will be announced in early August.
Looking for some inspiration for creative water harvesting ideas? Check out the links below: