Tax Installment Payment Plan (TIPPs)
2020 Tax Notice Information:
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the City has deferred the tax payment deadline until September 1. You will receive your 2020 tax notice during the first week of August. TIPP payments will be automatically adjusted in September. More information will be available soon.
As a TIPP participant, you are not required to make an annual lump sum tax payment. Your taxes can be paid in monthly installments on the 15th of each month and adjusted automatically on an annual basis to reflect any tax changes for the current year.
COVID-19 Property Tax Payment Deferral
Typically, residents of the City of Chestermere pay their taxes monthly or in a lump sum by July 31. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the City is offering a tax deferral program. The tax deferral program means that if you pay by lump sum, you have until September 1, 2020 to pay your taxes without incurring late fees or interest. If you pay monthly, you can defer your monthly payments until September 1, 2020 without incurring late fees or interest.
To apply to defer your payments, simply email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403-207-7050, make sure to provide your first and last name, address and cell number.
The City will send a confirmation that your request has been received. The City will be in touch in August to work out a payment plan for re-starting your TIPP payments on September 15th, for your annual 2020 taxes.
Important Condition: If you lease or rent the property to which this deferral applies, you are required to grant a deferral to the tenant(s) in the same manner. If you do not grant a deferral to the tenant(s), this deferral will cease and you will be responsible for making all payments, including interest and penalties, as if this deferral had not been granted. For more details, read this PDF.
To participate in the TIPP program:
- Complete the TIPP Application Form
- Return the form and your void cheque, and payment (to get your tax account up to date) to City Hall. There is no application cost to sign up. For the first year, your total tax amount will be split over the remaining months of the year (rather than paying a lump sum to catch up to the current month). The following January, you will have your payments split over 12 months.
- The first payment will be withdrawn from your account on the 15th of the following month.
- Payments will continue to be withdrawn unless you submit a TIPP Termination Form
- Payments will be automatically adjusted each year (in July and January) to account for any changes in the tax rate. See the 'Calculations' tab to learn more.
Note: If your home was a new build and was completed in the current calendar year, please call the Tax Department at (403) 207-7057 prior to signing up for TIPPs.
Changing your Banking Info
If you need to change the banking info for TIPPs, complete the TIPP Change of Banking Information Form. Please email, fax or drop off this form at City Hall (105 Marina Road).
Payments will continue to be withdrawn unless you submit a TIPP Termination Form. Please email, fax or drop off this form at City Hall (105 Marina Road).
The monthly payment is calculated by dividing your annual property tax by 12. You will still receive a tax notice in June that shows your current taxes but it will also show a credit amount that is equal to the payments made to date.
Annual Tax Levy = January to June payments + July to December payments.
Monthly TIPP payments are adjusted 2 times a year: every January and July.
January to June TIPP payments are a pre-payment for the current year taxes, based on the prior year’s tax amount and calculated by the Total previous year’s tax amount divided by 12 = January to June Monthly Withdrawal. The January adjustment is NOT a tax rate increase.
July to December TIPP payments pay off the remaining current year taxes and are calculated by taking the Current year taxes less January to June’s pre-payments then divided by 6 = July to December Monthly Withdrawal
Notes about the Tip Program:
- The Provincial Government has a property tax assistance program for seniors. Visit their website or call 1 (877) 644-9992 to learn more.
- Some properties are exempt from taxes (including some non-profits and community groups). Find out more here.
- When application occurs during August to December and penalties have been applied, they will be held in abeyance for 12 subsequent successful monthly payments. Once the 12 months are complete the penalties applied will be waived. \
- The monthly payment amount will be automatically adjusted annually on July 15th and January 15th. New amounts are shown on the annual tax notice mailed in June.
- Defaulted payments will have a fee applied and a letter will be mailed out.
- In the event that two consecutive payments are defaulted, this agreement will become null and void.
- New amounts are shown on the annual tax notice mailed in June.