- City Hall
- City Hall Services
- FOIP & Records
FOIP & Records
Freedom of Information
The basic objectives of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP Act) are:
- To ensure that public bodies are open to and accountable to the public by providing a right of access to records; and
- To protect the privacy of individuals by controlling the manner in which public bodies collect, use and disclose personal information.
The FOIP Act applies to all public bodies. It aims to strike a balance between the public's right to know and the individual's right to privacy in regard to information held by the City.
FOIP Act Alberta: Alberta King's Printer:
Right to Request Information
Under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP Act), any person has the right to request information that is in the custody and control of the City of Chestermere, including their own personal information. Individuals may also request a correction of their personal information if it is inexact, ambiguous or incomplete.
Submit a FOIP Request by downloading the form and submitting it to Legislative Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be specific in your request and give as much detail as possible in relation to the records you want to access, the department you believe has the records and the time period of the records you are requesting.
Types of Requests:
- General access to information request: information that is not about an identifiable person.
- Personal access to information request: recorded information about yourself or a person you are authorized to act for
- Request to make a change to your personal information.
Request for access to a record other than the applicant’s own personal information is $25.00 for a one-time request.
Continuing request for access to a record other than the applicant’s own personal information is $50.00 for a continuing request.
To pay FOIP fees, you have multiple options:
- pay by check made payable to the City of Chestermere and mailed to 105 Marina Road. Chestermere, AB T1X 1V7;
- phone in to pay via credit card by calling 403.207.7050; or
- in person at the front desk, at 105 Marina Road. Chestermere, AB T1X 1V7.
If you are requesting information regarding your own personal information, you will not be charged the $25.00 initial fee, however the City may assess fees only for producing a copy of the record – only if the costs are estimated to exceed $10.00.
If your request is substantial, you may be subject to more fees. See the fee schedule here: Download Fee Schedule
FOIP Form General/Personal: Download Form
FOIP Form to Request to Correct Personal Information: Download Form