One Time Tax Payment Option
2020 Tax Notice Information:
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the City delayed the tax payment deadline until September 1. Residents will receive their 2020 Tax Notice during the first week of August. Read more below for how to pay your taxes as a one time, lump sum payment.
Note: For residents who asked to defer their payments, the City finance staff will be in contact in August to set up a mutually-agreed upon payment plan.
2020 taxes are due September 1.
For those who may need extra time, Chestermere Council is considering a bylaw (Bylaw 028-20) that would allow people to combine 2020 and 2021 tax payments and then pay the amount over the months from the time they sign up until the end of 2021.
Example: For a home that has an average property tax of $4000, the City would combine your 2020 bill with an estimated 2021 bill and then divide the payments over 16 months (September 2020 to December 2021) to set an average monthly payment of $500 per month. Without this program, this property would pay $1000 per month until December and then $333 for the months of 2021.
If you are interested in this program, email email@example.com.
- Via Electronic banking (phone or online):
- Please ensure the PAYEE is ‘CHESTERMERE TAXES’.
- Please use your Tax Roll Number as the account number and allow up to 3 days for processing.
- If your payee is ‘Chestermere Utilities’, we will not receive the payment (may need to set up a new account)
- By mail
- Mail a cheque to City Hall, 105 Marina Road, Chestermere AB T1X 1V7
- Payments through the mail will be applied to the tax accounts on the date of the postmark stamped on the envelope by Canada Post.
- Please note that the City of Chestermere is not responsible for lost or misdirected mail
- In Person
- At a bank, you can use your tax roll number as the account number.
- You can drop off a cheque using the secured drop box located on the south side of City Hall. Please do not deposit cash.
- Note: City Hall is currently closed to the public. Cash will not be accepted and the City encouarges enrolling in TIPP or using other electronic options. Call 403-207-7050 for assistance.
Other Payment Information
- Cheques must be made payable to the CITY OF CHESTERMERE.
- Post-dated cheques will be accepted. However, payments made after the due date will have penalties applied.
- Cheques are a conditional payment until the bank upon which it is drawn honours the cheque. If a cheque is not honoured, penalties and a service charge of $30.00 will be applied.
- Payments will be accepted at any time (subject to penalties).
The Provincial Government has a property tax assistance program for seniors. Visit their website or call 1 (877) 644-9992 to learn more.
Some properties are exempt from taxes (including some non-profits and community groups). Find out more here.
Tax Penalties & Fees (Bylaw 014-18)
• For current year taxes that remain unpaid after the due date of September 1st, a 7% penalty will be applied on September 2nd. A 1.5% penalty will be applied on the 1st of each month thereafter.
• For prior year taxes (arrears) that remain unpaid a 1.5% penalty will be applied monthly.