Billing & Account Information
About City Utility Bills
- The City issues utility bills for water, wastewater (sewage), garbage & recycling services every month.
- Bills are issued via email as a PDF or a paper copy sent through Canada Post.
- Sign up to receive your bills via email here.
- Bills are issued the first week of each month after water meters have been read.
- Bills are due the last day of the month. Payments must be received on or before the due date.
Creating or Making Changes to an Account
To create an account, change an account or cancel an account, please click the buttons below, or contact us at 403-207-7070 or email email@example.com.
Please have your service address, date of possession/departure and account number ready.
Utility Bill Payment Options
Under the pre-authorized payment plan you will continue to receive a bill showing the amount that will be deducted from your bank account.
The withdrawal from your bank account will be on the 27th day of the month the bill is due or the following business day if the 27th falls on a weekend. These automatic deductions eliminate the need for postage and the possibility of late payment charges.
Although the City has taken over utility services from CUI, residents who pay online or via telephone banking will NOT need to make any changes to their account or payee.
Bills can be paid using a financial institution’s telephone or internet banking services. This is available at most financial institutions in Canada. Enough time should be given for the City to receive payment as financial institutions can take an average of 2 to 4 days to transfer payments.
Payments will be applied on the date of receipt at our office or our bank.
Finding the City as a payee:
The banks all have different names in their drop down menus for Chestermere Utilities. Typically if you enter “Chestermere” and scroll through the options, you can find Chestermere Utilities this way. Below are the codes we are currently aware of for utility payments.
- ATB: TOWN (CITY) OF CHESTERMERE UTILITIES
- BANK OF MONTREAL: CHESTERMERE UTI
- CENTRAL CREDIT UNION: CHESTERMERE UTIL
- CIBC: CHESTERMERE UTILITIES INC.
- ROYAL DIRECT: CHESTERMERE (CITY)-UTILITIES
- SCOTIA BANK: CHESTERMERE CITY (TOWN) UTILITIES
- TANGERINE BANK: CHESTERMERE – UTILITY
- TD CHESTERMERE: UT
Note: Some banks require a 10-digit account number. You will need to enter ZEROS at the front of your account number – not at the end.
Payment can be made by cheque or money order and either mailed or dropped off in person to
City Hall, 105 Marina Road, Chestermere, AB T1X 1V7
A drop box is located on the south side of the building near the main doors.
To ensure your payment is processed correctly, please include the bill stub when mailing your payment.
Payment can be made by credit card online at Plastiq, a third party service provider.
Please note, an account will need to be created and payments may take 3–5 business days to process. A Plastiq service fee will be applied (2.5% for credit cards). The City does not receive any portion of this fee – it is a 3rd party service fee. Watch this video to learn how to set up an account.
Notes about utility bill payments:
- Any balance outstanding after the due date is assessed a 3% late payment fee and is included in the next month’s bill. Please allow enough time for your payment to reach our office by the due date to avoid late payment penalties and possible service disconnection.
- Failure to receive a bill or loss of the statement, is not accepted as a reason for either non-payment or for exemption from any associated late payment penalties.
- For Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) payments, an NSF fee will be charged in accordance with our Rates and Fees Schedule, in addition to late payment fees for the outstanding balance.
- Failure to pay an account for ninety (90) consecutive days, or account arrears more then two (2) times a typical monthly bill, will result in the commencement of collection activities. This includes water service disconnection and discontinuance of waste disposal services until steps to recover the amount due have been taken (including referral to a third-party collection agency), and payment is received by CUI for the outstanding amount.
- To reconnect after a discontinuation of service, a $120 reconnection fee will be required. Additionally, prior to reconnection, a $300 security deposit is needed.
Refunds: If an account has been overpaid, CUI will refund amounts upon request providing the amount is greater than two times the customer’s average bill over the last six (6) months. If the credit balance on account is less than the calculated amount, it will be held as a credit against future billings. All funds returned to customers are paid by cheque only and customers should allow two (2) to four (4) weeks for refunds to be processed. For credit balances on closed accounts, the amount owing the customer must be $10 or more for a refund to be issued.
Special Property Situations:
Land Owners & Tenants: The City of Chestermere issues a monthly account statement to both the Owner on Title and the tenant. Landlords, please note that each time a tenant vacates the property, the customer account number will change.
Occupied Property: When the property is occupied, tenants apply to the City of Chestermere for a customer account. An account set up fee and security deposit are charged to tenants in accordance with our service guidelines. While occupied, the tenant is held responsible for all costs related to the services they receive.
Unoccupied Property: When the property is unoccupied, the Owner on Title is the primary account holder and is responsible for paying all costs associated with the property. This is in accordance with City of Chestermere Bylaw No. 025-13, Part IV, Sec 38.
New Builds: It’s important to know that with new builds, the builder or contractor’s plumber needs to install a meter horn in which the water meter will sit. A meter horn can be picked up at City Hall. Please send all inquiries by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.