Billing & Account Information
About City Utility Bills
- The City issues utility bills for water, wastewater (sewage), garbage & recycling services every month.
- Bills are issued via email as a PDF or a paper copy sent through Canada Post.
- Sign up to receive your bills via email here.
- Bills are issued the first week of each month after water meters have been read.
- Bills are due the last day of the month. Payments must be received on or before the due date.
Creating or Making Changes to an Account
To create an account, change an account or cancel an account, please click the buttons below, or contact us at 403-207-7070 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: There is usually a service deposit of $300 and a cart deposit of $130 applicable to all new residential accounts. If you sign up for pre-authorized payments and e-billing, the deposits can be waived.
If a resident has an existing account or had a closed account with good payment history (no fewer than 2 incidents of late payments and no more than one missed payment in the last 12 months), deposits can also be waived.
Please have your service address, date of possession/departure and account number ready.
Utility Bill Payment Options
Under the pre-authorized payment plan you will continue to receive a bill showing the amount that will be deducted from your bank account.
The withdrawal from your bank account will be on the 27th day of the month the bill is due or the following business day if the 27th falls on a weekend. These automatic deductions eliminate the need for postage and the possibility of late payment charges.
- Sign Up for the Pre-Authorized Payment Plan, click here. (Download and save the form on your device, fill it out and e-mail it back with a void cheque to email@example.com to have your account(s) set up on automatic payment withdrawal.
- For changes to your account information, contact a Customer Service Agent at 403-207-7070 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To Cancel your Pre-Authorized Payment Plan, click here.
Bills can be paid using a financial institution’s telephone or internet banking services. This is available at most financial institutions in Canada. Enough time should be given for the City to receive payment as financial institutions can take an average of 2 to 4 days to transfer payments.
Payments will be applied on the date of receipt at our office or our bank.
Finding the City as a payee:
To set up Chestermere Utilities as a payee, search for 1538974 AB Ltd. and use your account number on your bill.
For RBC clients, search for CHESTERMERE (TWN)-UTILITIES.
Some banks require a 10-digit account number. You will need to enter ZEROS at the front of your account number – not at the end.
Note: The City of Chestermere manages utilities for the community but tracks the financial information separately from regular City accounts using numbered company 1538974 AB Ltd.
Payment can be made by cheque or money order and either mailed or dropped off in person to
City Hall, 105 Marina Road, Chestermere, AB T1X 1V7
A drop box is located on the south side of the building near the main doors.
To ensure your payment is processed correctly, please include the bill stub when mailing your payment.
Payment can be made by credit card online at Plastiq, a third party service provider.
Please note, an account will need to be created and payments may take 3–5 business days to process. A Plastiq service fee will be applied (2.85% or less for credit cards). The City does not receive any portion of this fee – it is a 3rd party service fee.
Notes about utility bill payments:
- Any balance outstanding after the due date is assessed a 3% late payment fee and is included in the next month’s bill. Please allow enough time for your payment to reach our office by the due date to avoid late payment penalties and possible service disconnection.
- Failure to receive a bill or loss of the statement, is not accepted as a reason for either non-payment or for exemption from any associated late payment penalties.
- For Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) payments, an NSF fee will be charged in accordance with our Rates and Fees Schedule, in addition to late payment fees for the outstanding balance.
- Failure to pay an account for ninety (90) consecutive days, or account arrears more then two (2) times a typical monthly bill, will result in the commencement of collection activities. This includes water service disconnection and discontinuance of waste disposal services until steps to recover the amount due have been taken (including referral to a third-party collection agency), and payment is received by the City for the outstanding amount.
- To reconnect after a discontinuation of service, a $120 reconnection fee will be required. Additionally, prior to reconnection, a $300 security deposit is needed.
Refunds: If an account has been overpaid, The City will refund amounts upon request providing the amount is greater than two times the customer’s average bill over the last six (6) months. If the credit balance on account is less than the calculated amount, it will be held as a credit against future billings. All funds returned to customers are paid by cheque only and customers should allow two (2) to four (4) weeks for refunds to be processed. For credit balances on closed accounts, the amount owing the customer must be $10 or more for a refund to be issued.
Special Property Situations:
Rental Properties: Bills will be sent directly to the owner and the owner is responsible for payment. If an owner make a request, a copy can also be sent to a tenant.
Note: CUI used to send bills to tenants of rental properties instead of to the owners. The City is unaware as to why the CUI leadership team chose to do this, but this practice will not continue as per the 2013 Bylaw 025-13.
Unoccupied Property: When the property is unoccupied, the Owner on Title is the primary account holder and is responsible for paying all costs associated with the property. This is in accordance with City of Chestermere Bylaw No. 025-13, Part IV, Sec 38.