October 18, 2021
Chestermere Recreation Centre
201 West Chestermere Dr
Chestermere, AB T1X 1B2
2021 Municipal Election
Monday, October 18, 2021
To vote in the Chestermere municipal election, you must:
- be at least 18 years of age;
- be a Canadian citizen;
- be an Alberta resident for 6 consecutive months prior to Election Day;
- have your place of residence* located in the City of Chestermere on Election Day;
- Show ID to verify your name and address. (See below for acceptable forms of identification or read more about the Voter Identification Bylaw here); and
- Complete a statement confirming that you are eligible to vote and that you have not previously voted in this election.
* Residence is defined by the Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA) as 'the place where the person lives and sleeps and to which, when the person is absent, the person intends to return'. If you need more information on the rules of residence, please see section 48 of the LAEA.
Acceptable Voter Identification
Electors now have three options to provide proof of their identity as set out in the Voter Identification Bylaw:
Option 1: Provide one piece of government-issued photo identification which contains a photograph of the elector and the elector’s legal name and current address (i.e.: a driver’s license)
Option 2: If no photo ID is available, an elector can provide two pieces of identification that contain their name, with at least one containing the elector’s current address (i.e.: Alberta health care card or passport paired with a credit card statement, utility bill, or mortgage statement)
Option 3: Provide a letter of verification that confirms the elector’s legal name and current address. This letter can be signed and authorized by the elector’s employer, a representative of a post-secondary institution, supportive living facility, or treatment centre (See Schedule A below for more details).
- No special reason is needed to vote early
- Each qualified elector will need to show proof of name and address.
- They will then have to register to vote by filling out the Elector Register
- They will be given instructions on how to fill in the ballot for the following elections: Mayor, City Council, School Board Trustee, Senate and Referendum.