Each year, we gather to reflect, remember, and honour our veterans on Remembrance Day.
This year, the ceremony will be a hybrid and there are 2 ways to participate:
- Attend in Person: You are welcome to attend the outdoor event in person at the Cenotaph (208 West Chestermere Drive). Please note that there is no capacity limit, but attendees are asked to stay in their family groups and give 6 feet of space between other groups as a COVID-19 precaution.
- Watch Online: The ceremony will be live-streamed at www.facebook.com/cityofchestermere and anyone is welcome to watch virtually.
Prior to the ceremony, veterans are invited to participate in a Veterans’ March. Any veterans interested in participating are welcome to meet at the Fire Hall at 10am.
The public program will then begin at 10:45 a.m.
In addition to attending or watching online, residents are also invited to consider supporting veterans in the following ways:
- Visit after the ceremony: After the service, you are welcome to visit the cenotaph to lay a wreath or pay your respects.
- Show your support by decorating your windows with poppies or having your children complete a workbook. Colouring pages are available at https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/classroom/tales-of-animals-in-war/arts-and-crafts/coloring
- Donate to the Veteran’s Food Bank: Monetary donations are encouraged and will be accepted by the Veteran’s Foodbank. Cash and cheque donations will be accepted. Please make cheques payable to the Veteran's Food Bank (#10 820 28 Street NE Calgary, phone: (403) 367-8387).
- Purchase a wreath from the Royal Canadian Legion. Wreaths are available for purchase from: Royal Canadian Legion Branch 1 (116 - 17 Avenue S.E. Calgary, (403) 266-5752, firstname.lastname@example.org). 8" Wreath: $35.00, 14" Wreath: $60.00, 20" Wreath: $85.00, 24" Wreath: $130.00, Ribbon Inscription: $25.00. Deadline for ordering is November 9th.
- Purchase a veteran’s banner: If you'd like to purchase a banner to honour a Veteran, the application is open May 1, 2021 - Sept. 1, 2021. Banners will be hung at Anniversary Park leading up to and for our Remembrance Day Service. Any applications received after the deadline will be held for the next year's printing.