The City’s Environmental Services team will begin the 12-week lake weed cart program for lakefront properties this Wednesday. Lake weeds will be collected on Wednesdays from July 13 to September 28.
- Carts need to be placed at the curbside by 7 am.
- Only lake weeds may be put in carts on ‘Lake Weed Wednesdays’.
- Yard waste and organics are not accepted in lake weed bins. Operators will be auditing carts during collection. Contaminated carts will be tagged and not collected.
The regular household curbside waste collection day will not change.
Regulations are outlined in the City of Chestermere Waste Management Bylaw No. 008-15.
These green lake week carts are designed with proper drainage for the weeds; draining the water reduces the weight of the cart and facilitates the composting process. As such, the 360 L carts with holes in the bottom are for this purpose only.
In addition to the orange lake weed harvesters that operate on the lake in July and August, lakefront homeowners:
• collect floating weeds
• hand-harvest weeds on and around their shoreline
• put weeds in lake weed carts
This collaboration ensures that Chestermere Lake continues to be a key recreational amenity for everyone to enjoy.
Cut lake weeds are composted and the compost is used in City parks and made available to residents free of charge at the Eco Centre – visit chestermere.ca/ecocentre for details. On average, about 225 tons of lake weeks are converted into compost material annually!
For more information please contact Community Operations at: