Although the City of Chestermere only took over utility operations a few weeks ago, they are already making changes to improve services for residents, starting with providing black garbage carts later this year.
“We are delighted that our staff are already finding new ways to serve residents better,” says Mayor Marshall Chalmers. “Many residents have been asking for this service for a long time. We heard you Chestermere, and we are pleased to be taking action.”
City Council approved the idea on August 20 after a presentation from the City’s new Environmental Services team. The black carts have been ordered and are expected to arrive before Christmas.
Here are a few things to know about the new black carts:
- Your garbage pickup schedule is not changing.
- Adding the black carts will not impact your utility rates.
- You may put garbage in the black carts loose or in bags. Loose items or bags left on the ground will not be picked up.
- You may not use your black carts for paper, recyclable plastic or organics. Those need to go in your other carts.
- If you want to use bags, you can use any colour or type. There is no limit on the number of bags, so long as they fit into your cart. There are no requirements for privacy bags.
- Residents who have purchased commercial grade carts may be able to keep them. More information on the types of carts permitted will be provided in the coming weeks.
- Prohibited materials (harmful chemicals, explosive materials, etc.) will not be allowed in the black carts. Many of these items can be dropped off at the Eco Centre (recycle drop off).
“We are looking forward to providing black cart garbage service to Chestermere residents,” says Cam Wong, Environmental Services Manager with the City of Chestermere. “Not only is it a less expensive way to operate but this new service will improve health and safety standards for our operators. It’s a win-win for everyone.”
Residents can expect black cart service to begin in November or early December. More information will be provided closer to the roll out.