We’re Focusing on Physical Literacy
Throughout the month of July, Parent & Caregiver Support Services will be focusing on Physical Literacy. What is it? How much physical activity should your children be getting each day? How can you get your kids excited about exercise? These and other questions will be answered for you on our Facebook page (@ChestermerePCSS), as well as plenty of helpful strategies, tips, and resources to support parents and caregivers with raising physically literate children.
Hop, Skip, Jump Challenge
Get the whole family moving, and encourage some Chestermere spirit by participating in our Hop, Skip, Jump Challenge this month! All participants will be automatically entered to win a draw prize! #ChestermereSkips
Children with a July Birthday - Win a Prize!
If your child is celebrating a Birthday in July, you will be automatically entered to win a best-selling parenting book when you complete an online Ages & Stages Questionnaire (ASQ) for them!
Online Developmental Check-Ups
Family & Community Resource Centre (FCRC) - Free Financial Literacy Workshops
Chestermere’s Family & Community Resource Centre in collaboration with the Canada Revenue Agency is doing a series of online presentations! Please pre-register through eventbrite https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/canada-revenue-agency-presentations-by-the-city-of-chestermere-tickets-108756806536
There are seven different topics being covered over the course of 7 weeks, each presentation will be available for the public twice each week, they will be presented under the tickets section as ’option 1’ and ’option 2’. After registering, you will have saved a seat for yourself! You will receive an e-mail confirmation and be sent the Webex meeting invite 24 hours prior to the presentation.The following topics will be covered:
1. Benefits and Credits For All (Tuesday July 7 at 10:00 a.m. and Thursday July 9 at 2:00 p.m.) - Canada Child benefit, Child Disability Benefit, Disability Tax Credit, GST, Canada Workers Benefit. Climate Action Incentive
2. Scams (Tuesday July 14 at 10:00 a.m. and Thursday July 16 at 2:00 p.m.) - How to recognize a scam, examples of Fraudulent communications, how to protect yourself from Identity Theft.*Including new COVID-19 Scams* Did you know that Canadians lost 1.2 MILLION dollars to COVID-19 scams between March 6th to May 1st 2020?
3. Digital Services for Individuals (Tuesday July 21 at 10:00 a.m. and Thursday July 23 at 2:00 p.m.) - My Account, Online Services for individuals, Netfile and Auto-fill my return, Express NOA (Notice of Assessment).
4. Seniors Benefits and Credits for All (Tuesday July 28 at 10:00 a.m. and Thursday July 30 at 2:00 p.m.) - Common types of income and credits for seniors, Pension income splitting, Registered Retirement Savings Plan, OAS repayment, Payment methods, Authorizing a representative, Climate Action Incentive
5. Newcomers Benefits and Credits For All (Tuesday August 11 at 10:00 a.m. and Thursday August 13 at 2:00 p.m.) - Canada Child benefit, Disability Tax Credit, GST, Canada Workers Benefit, Residency Status, How to File a return
6. Students and Youth (Tuesday August 18 at 10:00 a.m. and Thursday August 20 at 2:00 p.m.) - What are taxes, Levels of Government, Do you need to file, How do you file?
If you have any comments, questions or concerns, please connect with Olimphya Elizondo at (403) 207-7079
Chestermere/Strathmore Family Resource Network Hub
To find out what our regional FRN Hub is offering for virtual programming, check out their most June-July newsletter by clicking here.
Stepping Stones to Mental Health
Stepping Stones to Mental Health is offering several FREE, live virtual programming, weekly throughout the summer. For all of the programs listed below, please register online at : register.rockyview.ab.ca/public/
1. HeartMath Online; Transform Your Stress: The Resilience Advantage (2hrs): Since the onset of COVID-19, many Albertans have identified feeling stressed. This free introductory course includes a basic discussion of stress plus looks at different ways to manage stress, including two HeartMath® breathing techniques.
-Dates: July 13 9:00 am - 11:00 am AND August 12 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm
2. Summer Yoga at Home (Online)
By encouraging relaxation, yoga helps to lower the levels of the stress hormones such as cortisol. Yoga increases body awareness, relieves stress, reduces muscle tension, strain, and inflammation, sharpens attention and concentration, and calms and centres the nervous system.
Dates: Tuesdays June 30 - August 18, 7:30 am - 8:15 am OR Wednesdays July 1 - August 18, 12:00 pm - 12:45 pm OR Thursdays July 2 - August 20, 4:00 pm - 4:45 pm
3. MindUP Virtual Training (6.5 hrs)
“MindUP™ is a Social and Emotional Learning curriculum and framework for teachers that helps students flourish and become more resilient. MindUP™ is grounded in Neuroscience, activated by Mindful Awareness, inspired by Positive Psychology and a catalyst for Social and Emotional Learning. These four pillars inform a curriculum and framework of 15 lessons that, when combined with key principles and practices, helps develop self-regulation and focus in your students, along with an improved ability for them to work well with others.” The program focuses on developing the whole child and creating a positive influence in the classroom and school culture, as well as improving the quality of life in general.
Date: August 26, 8:30 am – 3:30 pm